Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Need for Speed!

When I saw a Lotus Elise going through Lacey, I had a feeling that my drive home was going to be good.

Coming back to Seattle last night, while going through the Nisqually area, I allowed myself to be passed by a pretty nice Lamborghini Murcielago. I saw it coming up in my rear-view mirror, and I said to myself "that's a Lamborghini; I wanna get a look at that thing. I'm going to move over." It zipped past me in my all of its Italian glory, and I noticed that it was from Alberta (of all the places you would think an exotic car passing me in Nisqually would come from, Alberta probably ranks pretty low).

Then about a minute later, another one passes me, it too was from Alberta!! Two yellow Lamborghini Murcielagos (due giallo Murcielagi) passing me, one right after another, and both from Alberta. That doesn't happen every week.

When I hit the Dupont area a few minutes later, I looked in my rear-view mirror again, and I said "that's a yellow F-50......THAT'S A YELLOW F-50!!" Talk about a beautiful machine. It shot right past me, followed closely by a beautiful, red, 360 Modena. Both of these Ferraris, like the two Lamborghinis, were also from Alberta.

I decided at this point that I was going to try to keep up with these guys a bit. I mean, setting land-speed records for luxury sedans isn't anything new to me, and it's been a while since I tried to play with an exotic (1998, against a white Lamborghini Countach, to be exact). The whole thing was kind of funny, they both got into the middle lane (I was behind them), and they slowed down to 60. I figured that they had radar detectors going and they picked something up, so I was just keeping pace. At this point in time it became very clear to me how AMAZINGLY awesome the exhaust on these cars sound. When you see them poking around town, getting parked by valets and whatnot, it just doesn't do the car or the exhaust justice. Simply incredible. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Anyway, so I'm following behind these guys, and they kick it up a notch. They went from 60 to about 90 at the drop of a hat. It was very cool to see, not so easy for my car to do. When I hit 85 (and the Ferraris were still quickly pulling away from me) going past Ft Lewis, I decided that it was probably best that I give up my chase. That area has enough enforcers of the law in it that I was pretty confident 4 Italian exotics and a white Acura flying along would probably be pretty easy to spot. I was sure that I would see at least one of the cars pulled over on my way to Seattle, but they escaped capture, from what I could see.

After my little jaunt with the exotics, I had developed quite the need for speed. Around the Southcenter area (an ostensibly lawless area, which starts in Federal Way on I-5), C89.5 hit a nice streak of some good techno. With the windows down, the roof open, and the techno blaring.... it was a good ride home.

"Like I told my last wife, I said, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see, and besides...it's all in the reflexes.'"

1 Comments:

  • You know... if they were on I-5N around Olympia, they were probably coming up from Ron Tonkin in Portland. Apparently they do exotic car shows and races and shit all the time.

    By Blogger brett, at 4/29/2005 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home