Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Engrish....

Yes, I am aware that the correct spelling of "English" is ENGLISH. So why use "engrish" for the title for this article?

As I had feared, the Seattle Mariners are spelling Kenji Jojima's name "Johjima." I haven't seen his jersey yet, but I really hope they fix their error.

Technically, it's not an error. The extra "h" is added in there for pronunciation reasons; it's for stupid gaijin who screw up even Ichiro's name. That being said, the extra "h" looks awkward, and shouldn't be there. How would "Ichiroh" look on the back of a jersey?

In case you haven't heard (and you probably haven't, since you come here for your M's info), the Mariners signed Kenji Jojima yesterday to a 3 year, 16.5 million dollar contract. When blogging on this topic previously, I did say that I didn't think it was likely the M's would sign him, but it ended up happening. Apparently, the Mariners were the only team interested. The Mets and the Padres were supposedly both interested early on, but then turned their attention elsewhere. So the M's ended up with him. What's my take?

I don't remember seeing him play in Japan, but that doesn't really mean much. I knew about: Ichiro, Hideki Matsui, and Kazuo Matsui from my time in Japan, and they've all had varying levels of success. I can't say how I think that he'll do, since I really have no idea. He hit well in Japan, so that's a good start. Apparently he's got solid D, and calls good games. All of these items are pluses. I certainly hope that he turns out to be a great signing, and if nothing else, it's fun when the Mariners are able to make some (good) headlines, and do SOMETHING.

And fix the mis-spelling.

In other MLB news, ex-Mariner center fielder, Mike Cameron, was traded to the Padres. A great move for them. Boston has agreed to a trade with Florida for Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell. They're giving up some prospects (I've read they're good, but other than recently I haven't heard of the guys before), and getting an excellent starter and a 3rd baseman who has had success in the past. Looks like Florida is going through another firesale.

Mariners 16-game packs are now for sale. Get 'em while they're hot.

Wait, the Mariners lost 93 games last season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home