Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Sunday, December 04, 2005

BOINC'd....

After having worked with the SETI@home project for 4 years, I now have the choice of either starting over, or just abandoning the project.

Why? Berkeley has decided to get rid of the old SETI software and use their new BOINC software, meaning that I have to migrate my data from SETI@home to the BOINC system. The problem? I can't access the account, because the old email address is gone. So I can't get my password back, and they can't send me an account key.

I must say that I'm really disappointed in the project. While they've yielded nothing, I've continued to contribute my computer's time to their project (along with my electricity to run it), and now I'm essentially being left behind. I could start a new account, but why? There was nothing wrong with the old program, and there was nothing wrong with the account I had. Why the email and password security for a SCREENSAVER? Their message boards are filled with similar comments, and the I get the distinct impression nobody at Berkeley cares. It seems to me that they just take for granted that thousands of people all over the world are freely volunteering to help them with their project, and they just don't seem to care.

I haven't yet decided what distributed computing software I'll use for my new screensaver. There's the Folding@home project, which was connected with Google in the past, which is a front runner. Berkeley has a few other projects than SETI, which use the BOINC software.

A disappointing day.

I should watch The Arrival to mourn SETI@home's passing.

3 Comments:

  • Try running Rosetta@Home. At least you would be doing some work that may help humanity in a medical sense! I have been running Find-a-Drug, but they will be shutting their doors soon. Come on over to www.free-dc.org and join our team, lots of support and links to BOINC optimized clients!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/05/2005 11:10 AM  

  • I had thought about that. I downloaded the BOINC software, and I was looking at some of the other projects, Rosetta@Home looked appealing.

    As a follow up to my post, I downloaded and tried out the Folding@home program, and I didn't like it that much. I then started a new BOINC account and ran Einstein@home (which has a neat visualization).

    As a last-ditch effort, I tried again to get my old SETI@Home account converted, and it worked! I figure there must have either been some server trouble, or maybe when I was copying and pasting information a space found its way into the mix and screwed things up.

    I've got my account fixed now, and I've started Einstein@home and SETI@home (using BOINC) with it, and Rosetta is next.

    By Blogger Jason, at 12/05/2005 1:37 PM  

  • With Rosetta@Home being a UW project, I've allocated 50% of my BOINC resource share to it.

    Among the three projects(SETI, Einstein, and Rosetta), I think the visualization for Einstein@Home is the best.

    By Blogger Jason, at 12/05/2005 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home