Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Kong is King....

King Kong was fantastic.

Could it have been better? Probably not better, but maybe trimmed a little. While I thought the 3 hour run time was alright, I also thought there was some stuff that probably could have been excised without much loss.

The final scene at the Empire State Building is amazing, and looks fantastic. Throughout the film, Kong looked very good. That being said, it was obvious during some scenes that the CGI guys probably needed another few months to tweak some of the effects. Most of the effects looked excellent, but there were some that just didn't hold up with the rest of the film.

I enjoyed all of the actors' performances, and the writing wasn't bad either. I felt that the beginning of the film was a little too slow (this was an area where they could have trimmed down the film I think), but once they get to Skull Island, things really pick up and just keep moving. There's a scene in Central Park that I thought REALLY should have gone (just way too sweet), but overall the film is really solid. It's King Kong. If you don't know the material or haven't seen the original, maybe a primer is a good idea before seeing this one.

One thing I would say is that you should be sure the theater has their AC running. After 3.5 hours in a theater with a couple hundred other people, it can get pretty hot in there.

I don't think that it's the Best Movie of 2005, but I do think that it's one of the better ones. I don' t think that Kong is as good as LotR, but that's by no means saying Kong is bad. It's a good movie, and a movie that everyone involved did a good job on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home