Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Munich....

Steven Spielberg's new film, Munich, is getting its limited release on Friday, meaning it qualifies for eligibility for the Top 10 Films of 2005 list.

With as good of a year as it has been for movies, I can almost put Munich on there without having seen it. Early reviews I've read say that the message is a little too obvious and you're kind of hit over the head repeatedly with it, and that the movie is too long (at 167 minutes).

I've actually been thinking a lot lately about what does and what doesn't qualify for Top 10 status. I think it might end up being an interesting list.

And of course, I think this year I can probably come up with the Top 10 Worst (or maybe I'll call it "most disliked") movies too. That should be another list that is interesting to put together. Just because I disliked (or hated) something, doesn't mean that other people feel the same way about it. Take War of the Worlds for example. That movie is an exercise in terrible filmmaking; but there's a lot of people out there who liked it. As I was leaving the theater after watching it, I said "that's the worst movie I have ever seen in my life." In hindsight, maybe it was just because I'm such a fan of the source materials, causing my disappointment to be massively exacerbated. Or maybe the movie really was that bad? I haven't watched it again (and I don't plan to), especially with the 2 disc edition costing a whopping $30! Then there's Saw 2. Not a fan of that movie at all. But it made a ton of money, and I've talked to people and read online from people who really liked the movie. Will that make the list?

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home