Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

About a year and a half behind....

Here's some late news for you: the Orix Blue Wave (Kobe) and the Kintetsu Buffaloes have merged to become the Orix Buffaloes(??)!

Japanese baseball news is pretty tough to come by here in the states. Today, while searching for an Orix Blue Wave Ichiro jersey, I came across this page, which has one of the Orix Buffaloes jerseys for sale. My only source for this news is this page (so I'm not willing to say that this is 100% for-sure-fact), but according to them, the two teams merged at the end of the 2004 season.

I find this particularly interesting for a few reasons. First off, it's not everyday that professional baseball teams MERGE. Also, while I was in Japan, I was able to attend an Orix game and it was against the Buffaloes. Of course, the Orix have always been my fav Japanese baseball team, since that was Ichiro's team, Shiggy's team, and they're Kobe's team (Seattle is Kobe's sister city if you didn't know that already). In addition to all of that, the Buffaloes were also the team that Tuffy Rhodes was playing for. He's notable for tying the Japanese Home Run record set by Sadaharu Oh in 2001 (he probably could have beaten the record, but the pitchers wouldn't give him anything to hit). Rhodes, along with Ichiro, were both playing at the game I was at.

Interesting news for a Wednesday.

Technorati tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home