Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Any Given Sunday (or Saturday)....

In a move which didn't really have anything to do with the NFL Playoffs, I watched Any Given Sunday tonight. It's the first time I've watch the movie since seeing it in the theater on release day, when I didn't like it much.

Watching it again, I like the movie a lot more than I did in the past. I don't think that it's a GREAT film, but it's certainly not bad, and it's fun to watch. And with the second round of the playoffs already upon us, it's timely too.

I noticed I didn't put up any 1st round predictions (Bucs...*grumble, grumble*...), so I'll rectify that with giving some second round predictions.

NE vs. DEN - I have to go with NE on this one, but I'm not crazy about the pick. Tom Brady is 10-0 in the playoffs, so it's pretty damn tough to pick against him. That being said, DEN is as tough as anybody at home, and they aren't going to just give NE the game. I expect that DEN is going to show us a lot of both Bell and Anderson, and probably try to get a couple of flashy plays off to Smith and Lelie.

WAS vs. SEA - I've said since I was a kid that I would root for the Seahawks if they got into the Super Bowl, so that doesn't mean that I have to root for them in this game. After getting by the Bucs last week (Chris Simms, please pick up the white courtesy phone...), and traveling to SEA this week, I think that WAS isn't going to be 100%. Even if they are 100%, they're playing in Seattle, which gives SEA at least a TD advantage. I see SEA taking this game, but I'm still not sold on them being the best team in the NFC, much less getting to the Super Bowl.

PIT vs. IND - I think this is going to be a good game. I'm very interested to see how Indy's defense stands up in this game. They played hard during the regular season, can they bring it in the post season too? You can't pick against the best team in the NFL, so I'm taking Peyton Manning and his Colts.

CAR vs. CHI - A lot of people got both on and off the Panthers bandwagon this year. I did have Jake Delhomme on at least one of my fantasy football teams, but I sure wasn't on the bandwagon. Steve Smith is excellent, but by himself, he isn't enough to beat the Chicago defense; they're fast and they hit hard, and Delhomme I don't think is going to be able to handle it. CAR lost in Chicago during the regular season, and I expect them to do so again. I don't expect the Bears' offense to do much of anything (other than look mostly terrible, Thomas Jones being the notable exception), but their D should be able to carry them through this game and onto the NFC Championship game.

Speaking of defense, Monty Kiffin, the best Defensive Coordinator in the NFL, has decided to stay with the Bucs. A good move on his part, since he was looking at taking the coaching job in St. Louis. Kiffin rocks, and the Bucs defense is going to continue to rock. I think next year they're going to be a force to be reckoned with, and they're my early Super Bowl pick.

And you can take that to the bank!

Technorati tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home