Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's a big $#!t sandwich, and we're all gonna have to take a bite....

Nigerian rebels have claimed more attacks, which the said-attacked oil companies have denied.

This situation is an interesting one. It seems to me that these rebels are pretty smart. That is, they're smart enough to attack Nigerian oil facilities, which causes Western oil prices to go up, which causes Western discomfort, which causes Westerners to pay more attention to the situation. So much attention that oil has once again climbed back up to $67 per barrel.

If this isn't an excellent example of what I've been saying for years I don't know what is; the US needs to move away from its dependence of foreign oil! While the rich may not feel the effects of weekly double-digit gas price percentage increases, the rest of America does. While I don't think that these attacks are a good enough reason for recent upwards oil activity, they're more than enough to get the oil companies to line their pockets more more billions of our dollars per quarter.

I've also found myself questioning why PMFs aren't being called in to deal with these situations. MPRI has an established record of training that works (particularly since they use US military doctrine), so why are these oil companies and even the Nigerian government, not getting these Private Military Firms in there? I'd prefer that it happened before the problems (so the PMFs are doing doctrine training, not the actual fighting), but regardless, it's a question that I thought was pertinent.

As I have said before, I think that there's probably going to be more oil posts coming in the near future.

Interesting note: as I was typing the title for this article (one of my favorite quotes from Full Metal Jacket), it occurred to me that the guy who said the quote also plays Jack's Dad on Lost! It also occurred to me that I might have too much stuff floating around inside my head.

Speaking of Lost, this week's episode was pretty good in my opinion. After taking a bunch of time off, the show has come back and is in good shape. I thought that the second season started off very poorly, but has finally become interesting. I can't wait for more!


Technorati tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home