Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Missed opportunity....

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I've finally come to the conclusion: yes, I screwed up.

How's that? The normally infallible Jason screws up? "Blasphemy," you say. Normally you would be correct. Today is different.

For the last 15 months I have been looking for a job, with very bad results. That is, I'm still unemployed. Technically I've been unemployed for 29 months, but that isn't quite accurate since I left all of my employment to finish earning my BA.

What did I screw up on? I should have made a job-search blog, but I didn't.

My reasoning for this is quite simple. I don't want my blog to be a journal. Some people don't see the difference between something like a Blogger Blog and a space on LiveJournal or even a page on MySpace.com. Of course, there is a difference; there are huge differences.

Blogger is basically like having a website, only not having to dick around with: setup fees, locking down a domain name, finding and choosing a good host, setting everything up, making sure everything runs correctly, and dealing with customer service people who can't help you because their comprehension of English isn't so hot due to the fact that it's not the native tongue in Bombay. LiveJournal is an online journal/diary, and MySpace is a place for people to find people they went to high school with. All three serve different purposes, and while people sometimes try to blur the lines between them, there are major differences. In my mind, each has its place, and serves a distinct purpose. Having had my own website in the past (the now defunct Chanarama.com), back in April 2005 I decided that a blog was the best fit for me.

I thought that a job-search blog would basically be a journal, just focused on one aspect of my current lifestyle. Of course, I couldn't have foreseen that my jobsearch would be nowhere near completion 15 months into it. Had I known that when I started back in January 2005, I would DEFINITELY have started my job-search blog, and by the time it came to an end, I'd probably get a book and movie deal out of it. Over the course of these last 15 months, there's been so much crazy shit for me to have blogged about, it boggles the mind. Looking back at this last year and (almost) one half, I know that I could have put the blog together in such a way that it wouldn't simply be stuff I could have prefaced with "Dear Diary."

This bugs me for a few reasons. First off, I think it would be very interesting to be able to go back and look at the progression of my job search, find various landmark points, see what I was thinking and what was going on at the time. Also, I think that this information may have served a purpose for others at some point. Few people are really aware of just how shitty the job market is and how arduous a job search campaign can really be. Granted, not everyone is as stubborn as I am, and many people are in different situations than I am, but I think that people may have found it useful. And finally, I think that it would have been really interesting. In the last 15 months, I've done shit that many people couldn't fathom. Jumping through hoops, going to meet with employers/interviewers, all sorts of stuff. I tell people about a lot of it, but there's so much to it that if I told everyone all of the details, not only would it be way too many phone conversations, but my cell bill would probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of $146,938.21 over the last 15 months.

Of course, there's problems with my plan too. Paramount among them, I've signed confidentiality agreements with some of the places I'd want to talk about, so that would really take a poop on some of those ideas. For the places I haven't signed a NDA with, I know they wouldn't be too happy about me saying what I'd want to say about them, for the whole internet to find, see, and read. I'm not someone who likes to burn bridges, and I hold myself to an extraordinarily high level of professionalism, and I would have been at least a little troubled by the idea of talking shit about these people. On top of that, what if the job-search blog got too big, and began taking time away from the job search itself? I don't really think this would happen, but it's a possibility.

So what's the moral of this story? Other than, if you're embarking on a job search chronicle it, I think that maybe I'm going to give the idea a try. I'll have to poke around Blogger a bit and see if I can do what I want with the ideas I have in my head. If I put something together for public consumption, I'll be sure to link it.


- J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home