Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Crackin the Code....

With the film release looming, I decided it was in my best interest to read The Da Vinci Code. So I read it today.

First off, I liked the book, and I thought it was good. But I have to ask, why has this book caused such a fuss? The last few years I have caught so much flack for not reading this book; people have been treating me like someone who hasn't seen Star Wars. "You haven't read it?!! What's the matter with you? It's amazing!"

Yes, there are a lot of intriguing and neat concepts and ideas presented in the book. Being that I've had a degree of interest in the history of the Knights Templar for some time, I think that may have helped increase my interest in book. But I didn't think this book was the written version of a movie such as Star Wars. I wouldn't find people who've not read it odd, as I do people who have not seen Star Wars.

One of the things I found most interesting about the book was my experience reading it. I was actually disappointed that there wasn't footnotes and citations in the book! I know that it's a work of fiction, and that's really the foundation of my issue. I don't read fiction books much anymore. In fact, it's been a few years since I read a fiction novel; my tastes gravitate toward the factual, and I just don't devote much time to fiction. Reading The Da Vinci Code today, I wanted to see notes about facts the author was presenting, and I wanted other books that I could read to find out more. Maybe I'm just weird.

As I expected going into the book, much of my enjoyment was blunted by knowing some items of what happens, along with piecing things together from the movie trailer. The art of the good movie trailer is completely lost on the major studios.

Regardless, I was going to see the movie before I read the book, and now that I've read it, I still plan on seeing the movie.

Technorati tags: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home