Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Geek out....

As I was catching some flack for spending last weekend at the Emerald City Comic Con (which was awesome, by the way), I was wondering, am I geeking out too much?

Let's examine some of the evidence.

  • There's the weekend at the con, where I had a lot of fun. Spending a weekend at a Comic convention, I can see how someone would think that's a geek-out.
  • Comics! I was very happy with some of the comics I scored at the con, but I've been out of the game for 15 years. I'd say that's quite a bit of separation.
  • Saturday Sentai Surprise - I haven't posted a SSS lately, but I've got some in the works. Is being into Japanese TV shows geeky? Would you call MXC geeky?
  • J-pop - Is this geeky, or just good taste?
  • Toy collecting - There was a time where I was collecting a lot of toys, and had a pretty impressive collection, but a lot of that is gone now, and I very rarely get new toys.
  • Videogames - I've been saying for a long time now that videogaming is no longer the realm of the geek; it has transitioned into the mainstream. On top of that, I haven't played a videogame in far too long. The last game I can remember beating was MGS 3.
  • Jackie Chan - I reject any argument that loving JC makes me a geek. Yes, I did have my own website and domain named Chanarama.com, and yes in the past I did throw an annual Jackie Chan movie party/marathon going by the same name, but that doesn't make me a geek.
  • MSNBC/Newsweek Geek Quiz - I'm not entirely sure this can be seen as the end-all barometer of whether or not one is or is not a geek, but I only scored a 39, which rates as "Heading to Geekdom."
As you can see, I don't rate as a geek, and I'm still a fucking rockstar. You may continue to aspire to be like me.

Technorati tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home