Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Seven Samurai....

I forgot to mention this the other day, but Criterion has finally announced their new 3-disc Special Edition of Akira Kurosawa's classic, The Seven Samurai.

Coming out in September, this set is going to be packed! There's a new commentary (two are listed, and I think one is the old one), a new transfer, galleries, a booklet, and a bunch of vignettes.

I'll be getting this set, but don't think for one minute that I'm getting rid of my old Seven Samurai DVD. On top of the fact that it's my favorite DVD I own, it's got a better subtitle translation. The new DVD set has new subtitles, and I'm pretty sure these are the subs featured on the theatrical run Criterion did with Cowboy Pictures a few years ago. These subs are done by Linda Hoaglund, and as I have said in the past, I don't like her translations at all. Criterion got it right with their Throne of Blood DVD, which features two different sub tracks. Maybe Criterion will be nice enough to include the old translation on there too; choice is good.

I'm also disappointed they're giving it the same spine number. It's the same film, but a completely different DVD. In the LaserDisc days, a release like this would have had a new spine number.

Anyway, it's nice to see a cool new DVD for Seven Samurai, but I think I would have been happier if Criterion would have focused on getting something new out. We don't need Criterion, of all companies, going "Sony" on us and dropping multiple versions of DVD releases.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home