Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Bait and switch....

As I arrived home tonight, I found my copy of Charlie Oscar Delta 4 Limited Collector's Edition waiting for me, just liked I had hoped it would be. Of course what wasn't waiting for me was the Call of Duty 3 that was supposed to ship (for free) with it.

I ended up ordering the game from Circuit City over the phone this week, as all of the stores in Washington were out of Xbox 360 copies of Call of Duty 3. This is an all together too common tactic which seems to be happening more and more recently, advertising a loss leader only to have no copies in the store of said loss leader. This was a problem recently at Best Buy, where a few weeks ago they advertised a free Heroes HD DVD set with the purchase of the Xbox DVD drive. Many people showed up at BB only to find that there were either no drives or there were no Heroes HD DVD sets to be had. From what I've read, some CC stores even went so far as to say that the ad for the free CoD3 was a misprint and there wasn't supposed to be a free copy of CoD 3 with the purchase of CoD4. Mind you, in two different spots in the ad it said that CoD3 was free with purchase, but sometimes people think things are open to interpretation. BB made everything good for me with the HD drive, and hopefully CC will step up and do the same thing.

Anyway, now I find myself in a situation which I was really hoping to avoid. I am the owner of a $70 game, which I think is a new record price for a single game purchase for me. I refuse to pay even $60 for a game (because new release games are simply not worth more than $40, collectors games can obviously break that $50 point), but with this game I made an exception because I really wanted the Limited Edition and because I was supposed to get a free second game, which really leverages the purchase to $50 for CoD4 and $20 for CoD3 (I don't believe that Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits should be $30, as those games are really $20 games). But I didn't get the second game I was supposed to get!! I could have bought CoD4 in person from BB and got a bluetooth headset for 30% off, plus I could have used Reward Zone certs to pay less money, and got 2% back on the purchase using my Reward Zone card.

Of course I am willing to "counterpoint" myself and say that CC's customer service office was closed by the time I was aware of all this, so I haven't been able to talk to them to fix this problem yet. Hopefully when I talk with them tomorrow I won't have any problems and they'll send me the CoD3 ASAP. Mind you if they do fix it right away I will be sure to get back on here and give them the props they are due. At the same time, if they don't fix it I'll probably join in with other people, like the readers of Cheap Ass Gamer, who are avoiding CC due to their poor treatment of customers. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • I called CC today, and after about 30 minutes, I was told that they'll be shipping me both the Call of Duty 3 game and the CoD4 poster that I should have received.

    At one point the CSR tried telling me that he couldn't fix the error because the person who placed my order didn't "click the button" for the free game deal, so I had to take the game to my local store and talk to them about it. Of course I told him that was unacceptable, since it was their error and they are the ones who need to fix it, not me.

    I'll update when I know more, as I'm not completely convinced that they're sending me the game.

    By Blogger Jason, at 11/11/2007 10:45 AM  

  • There's a reason why CCs stock is down to $6.48 and steadily declining =)

    By Anonymous Joe, at 11/14/2007 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home