Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Sunday, November 11, 2007

RAWWWWWK!!....

Even though the Urban Dictionary says that I am an "idiot" for using the spelling I did for the title of this post, I just had to do it.

Today I bought DragonForce's "Inhuman Rampage" album. It rawks!

For those who don't know, DragonForce is an English power metal band. When I first heard them I figured they were of Scandinavian, maybe Swedish, origin but it turns out they speak English. They're my favorite band right now.

And, if you didn't already know, they rock. Quite a bit.

I first came across DragonForce months ago during a period of random searching on iTunes. I think maybe they were linked to Nightwish. I was hooked immediately. This past week, as I was checking out Guitar Hero III, I found out that "Through the Fire and Flames" was included as the final song in the game. It's so final in fact, that it isn't actually part of beating the game, since that would be too crazy tough. Like the achievement for activating Star Power three times in the song; if you can do that you should be taking over for Eddie Van Halen and getting Diamond Dave to sing Panama in a new Van Halen tour.

My purchase of this album is notable for a couple of reasons. First off, I don't buy a lot of music. I don't find a lot of utility in purchasing CDs, as I have tired of paying $10-20 for one good song and a bunch of crap. Also, when I buy music I usually just get it on iTunes, as I usually like not having a CD around taking up space which could be occupied by media more worth its purchase price, such as DVDs. With this DragonForce album, I was so enthusiastic about getting it that I had to have the actual album in my hands. On top of that, I got the special edition, which comes with a bonus DVD with videos on it. Again, I don't normally do that, but for this album I had to make an exception.

What I found is that Inhuman Rampage is probably the worst CD I have ever encountered for listening to while driving. You get so busy playing air guitar, that you have your hands off the steering wheel way too much. On top of that, there's the whole pumping you up so you drive faster issue too. Also, by the time the album finishes you feel exhausted. So much rock! I'd love to see these guys in concert; I'd probably sleep for two days afterward from all the rocking out! They never make it to the US for tour dates, but if they were to come I'd seriously think about traveling to see them (if they didn't play in Seattle).

One thing that I think is interesting about DragonForce versus bands who sound similar is their vocals. Instead of the "Death Metal" sound of some idiot growling and mumbling into a mic, or the goth rock weird vocals you often run into with this sort of sound, their vocals don't grate on your nerves.

If you haven't heard them, be sure to check their stuff out.





Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home