Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Sunday, April 27, 2008

You will not survive....

That's what the Call of Duty games tell you when you tell them you want to play veteran mode (at least, the ones from Infinity Ward say that). You know what? They're totally right.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some CoD (Infinity Ward have a track record of making good stuff), but man, after spending the weekend grinding away at some of those levels I'm pretty worn down. And, needless to say, I did not survive.

I hope CoD6, or whatever they call the next Call of Duty game developed by Infinity Ward, fixes some of the problems they've had. CoD4 is one of the best shooters ever made, but there are a few tweaks they could use to make it even better.

First off, checkpoints should be more uniform in when and how they trigger. It shouldn't be a game to get the game to save your progress. This has been a problem for them since at least CoD2 (I don't remember it being an issue in CoD 1, but it's been a while since I played that), and it just doesn't make much sense. Some of the checkpoints just don't trigger, and when you're trying to play through on the veteran difficulty, that's just not cool.

Second, team AI should be improved. This wasn't as much of an issue in CoD4, since the team is smaller and stays with you for most of the game, but in CoD2 it's wonky. One of the D-Day missions I played today (probably close to 30 times), during one of the playthroughs, one of my guys went completely Rambo, and cleared out half of a large enemy bunker by himself, while saying something about being from New York. I was pretty happy about this, since the guys in the second half of the bunker had been giving me some problems, but I wasn't so happy about it when I took a round through the head as soon as I poked my head out of the bunker. Out of all the times I had to replay that sequence, my teammate only went Rambo once. I think this problem is similar to the checkpoint problem; it seems like you have to either be in the exact right spot to trigger some of these teammate reactions, and sometimes it just doesn't seem to register.

Having in-game adjustable brightness controls would be great too. I don't remember this being in CoD4, but it'd be really helpful.

I've had mixed feelings about the veteran difficulty in these games for a while. Part of me thinks it's kind of cool that you have to do everything right, and that the slightest error always results in your death (over and over and over and over and over). But then the part of me that played the exact same sequence for two hours before getting past it thinks, "maybe it'd be cool if they had some sort of system that mitigated some of this." Like having more ways to get to where you are supposed to go. I don't know, just a thought.

With CoD4 they made some great tweaks (being able to throw back grenades is clutch), and I think the next installment will be even better. It's neat to go back and see the progression they've made, and you like to see a developer that cares about putting out a good product.

Playing through Call of Duty on veteran is cool, but it's grueling and tough.

One of the best missions (if not the best) in CoD4 is "Death From Above." For this mission, you go danger close.



As Tyrese would say, "bring the rain!"

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home