Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Very early MGS4 thoughts....

First off, great graphics and sound. Really fantastic.

Second off (and really it should have been first, but I didn't want to start with a negative), why did they swap the functions of the "O" button and "X" button? For 10 years now O has been ok, and X has been cancel/back, but now it's switched. For people who haven't played any of the MGS games, people such as kids and those who've been living in a cave, this isn't an issue. For devoted fans of the series, you're constantly fumbling around in the menu system, frustrated that you can't even load a game because some rocket scientist decided that he didn't like a button layout that's been great for a decade. Who did they make this game for? Granted, I'll admit this is a pretty minor complaint, but why would you screw with something that's been working just fine for the whole series?

Don't even get me started on the new control scheme and the utter lack of a primer on it.

So far, love the game. Can't wait to get further into it.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I on the other hand do not love the game. I am only at the end of ACT I but here are my non-spoiler criticisms.

    - To many and to long cut scenes. I felt like I was playing a Final Fantasy game... 2 minute cut scene/ Walk 20 yards/ 3 minute cut scene. I have 2 1/2 hours in the game so far and most of that time has been watching the cut scenes.

    - The controls kind of blow. Shooting people should not be this tough.

    - Too many Poo jokes... I won't go into details for fear of soiling the experience. Oops I meant spoiling.

    By Blogger PalinDrome, at 6/13/2008 7:26 AM  

  • I'm not very far in the game, and I agree with you for the most part (but I haven't run into this poo stuff you're talking about yet).

    The beginning should have just been one solid cut scene. Allowing me to walk 10 feet to trigger the next cut scene, or get under a truck, or whatever, to trigger the next scene is dumb. I was thinking, "don't patronize me. Just finish the cut scene and give me real gameplay."

    Controls, from my little experience with them so far, completely blow. I say this as an MGS expert. That's why I complained in the post about a lack of a controls primer.

    By Blogger Jason, at 6/13/2008 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home