Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Bandai Apple Pippin....

I've been on something of an old school games kick recently. I think it was brought on by the announcement from SNK Playmore that they are releasing the Samurai Shodown Anthology this fall (it's even coming out on the Wii). Since reading about the SS:A, I've been thinking quite a bit about the old school stuff. Every once in a while this happens to me, and usually the results aren't cheap. At the same time, I usually come out of the "phase" with some cool games that you just don't see anymore.

As I was poking around eBay last night, I came across a listing for the Apple Bandai Pippin. I haven't seen one of these units in a LONG time, so it was surprising to say the least. Somewhere, probably in a box, I have some mid or early-nineties videogame magazines which talk about the Pippin, which was Apple's first foray into videogame consoles. With the popularity of Apple now (not so much in the mid-nineties), you'd think more people would be interested in the Pippin. It predates Microsoft mixing it up with the Xbox, but unfortunately (for the Pippin, maybe not for consumers) it came out at the same time as the PlayStation and Saturn.

This particular unit is a Japanese, Bandai-produced Pippin. Rated as one of the 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time, it wouldn't surprise me if people aren't flocking to this auction, but it's value in terms of both history and nostalgia certainly at least makes the unit interesting.

I don't plan on buying it, so I don't mind putting the listing up for people to see.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home