Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Friday, September 26, 2008

Debating....

I was wrong on the market's reaction to the Republicans' inaction. I can't explain why we didn't get a worse reaction, but I will say that I'm glad it didn't turn out as bad as it could have.

The presidential debate tonight was..."meh." I guess maybe I would have gotten more out of it if I didn't pay attention to the campaign and the issues. In that way, the debate served its purpose.

Couple of observations:
  • McCain is a name dropper. Do they believe that the ability to pronounce the name of the Georgian president (but not the name of Iran's) will win votes?
  • Why couldn't Senator McCain look at Senator Obama?
  • Lehrer did an ok job moderating, but not great.
  • Obama didn't seem like he was completely on his game. There were a few times where he stumbled.
  • Obama supports a missile shield?? WTF? If you want to fund your initiatives, take the funding from the failed Neo-Star Wars program. The missile defense shield is a financial black hole, and could be the genesis of a new Cold War. It's not rocket-science, it's 101 actually.
  • McCain has a man-crush on Petraeus.
  • McCain spent most of the debate hinting at his position that Obama isn't ready to be president, and waited until the end to really put that on the table. Why not bring it up earlier, and open up with both barrels?
  • During NBC's post-debate coverage, Rudy Giuliani was the Republican selected to speak when the VP candidate would speak. It's telling that the GOP wasn't willing to let Palin speak on national TV during that time. Also, I've become completely sick of Giuliani. His attack dog shtick is tired and dumb.
I'm looking forward to the vice-presidential debate. Let me be clear, I do not anticipate learning anything of substance about the candidates positions on real issues from that debate, I want to see the two VP candidates in action.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home