Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

My better just took it in the shorts....

Fantasy sports is a marathon. You try to win the sprints, but overall you have to win the race.

My money league team this last weekend just lost it's starting QB and a starting WR. Both Tom Brady and Nate Burleson are out for the season, after not getting through the entire week 1 game they played in.

This means my 2nd and 6th draft picks combined for 15 points... for the season.

When I heard about the Brady thing, I was disappointed, but I knew that I could overcome the challenge it presented. If anything, I know how to draft a fantasy team, and I'll be damned if losing one player is going to sink my season. But when I heard that Burleson was out too, that's when I got pissed.

I had projected Burleson as a Top 15, if not Top 10 WR. If anything, I figured he'd be really good until about mid-way through the season, when I could have potentially moved him for someone who might perform better. And with Brady out, I figured that my strength across the rest of the board would still allow me to win. I wouldn't run away with the regular season, but I figured I would be very competitive. Now I'm in a tight spot.

And today I'm anticipating Tony Dungy announcing that Dallas Clark will be out for the season. My starting TE was also hurt in week 1, not putting up any points. Which would mean that my 2, 6, and 7 picks combined for 15 points... for the season. That hasn't quite happened yet, so I might be ok.

Of course, the only leagues I had Brady in were keeper leagues. So in my money league I'm in a situation where I pretty much have to keep him on my bench all season. If I let him go, someone else has the roster spot to stash him, and next year keep him as one of their top 4 round picks, and they get a guy who shouldn't have any problem throwing 30 TDs. I can't let that happen.

So while I still have LT, which technically makes my better better than your better, it's going to be a very difficult year.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home