Booze, Baseball, and another "B"

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Dropping knowledge....

So my recent IE problem got me wondering, "how many visitors use IE?"

The answer: 30%.

I can't say that I'm all that surprised by the result. I forget exact marketshare numbers, but I think IE has something like 90% marketshare. With the dedicated readership my blog has, most of that segment of the readership is technologically savvy, so they're on the Firefox/something else better than IE bandwagon. I was surprised to see that only 4% of viewers use Safari/Chrome. I need to write more Mac articles I guess (or Apple needs to bring their sky-high prices down).

Over the course of the last month, my #1 article is one I put together 2.5 years ago, which has a picture of a Lamborghini balanced on some tea cups. Folks love the classics.

#2 article is one I put together on my bitchin' Oakley Large Roller Bag (Khaki Tiger Camo, thank you very much). I've been meaning to put out some more thoughts and info on that specific bag, since it's awesome.

One of the ideas I've been toying around with lately is starting up a Twitter feed. I've seen a cool Twitter widget, so I could get the Twitter posts (tweets) to show up here on the blog, and my phone could totally tweet with the best of 'em.

The problem I have with Twitter is that I still don't know if I really see the value. When I put something up on this blog, I try to either make it visually appealing (often including a video link) or I try to put together a string of thoughts that exceeds 140 characters, which hopefully contains some nuanced thoughts and decent grammar. I'm not sure how much of that I would lose with Twitter. There are times when I have trouble keeping text messages to 160 characters. On top of that, due to the nature of my work I can't post anything work related, so weekdays on my Twitter feed might be fairly uneventful.

But with the pending Mariners season, along with movie season, and some other stuff which might be happening soon, it seems like maybe I could make a Twitter feed work. Speaking of summer movie season, does the March release of Watchmen count as the beginning of the Summer movie season for this year? I know that we're less than a month away from Fast and Furious' release day (can you say "counting down the days?" I thought you could) and it just seems like Hollywood is getting the party started earlier and earlier every year.

So yeah, maybe some Twitter coming soon. Maybe not.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • How is it that I didn't first read about this here?

    Before you start mirroring twits on your blog, you should probably find a way to make sure those don't mirror on your RSS feed as well. I've had to unsubscribe to more than one feed because twitter posts started flooding my feedreader.

    By Blogger Jim, at 3/09/2009 5:20 PM  

  • It's funny you mentioned that. I was going to post that story this morning, but decided against it. Then I thought about putting the picture by itself up, and I'll probably still do that.

    Good point on the RSS feed issue. The widet I saw doesn't do that, but I hadn't thought about it.

    By Blogger Jason, at 3/09/2009 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home